Monday, May 14, 2012

Walk Like a Man

Date: Monday, May 14, 2012
Time: 4:45 p.m.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
42 days to Olympic Trials

Today was supposed to be a planned day off from exercise, but I adjusted my schedule this week to allow me to do my dryland session with JR Rosania today instead of Monday. This week might be the last time I get to swim with the kids at Phoenix Swim Club, since the team is shifting to morning workouts only when school lets out in a couple of weeks. I won't be able to swim with them at the 7 a.m. start time, so I wanted to get in one more lactate workout on Wednesday with Coley and his crew before Trials.

Today's workout was pretty tough, but it was kind of fun to do! I enjoy working on power ... I am a sprinter, you know! I wasn't very active physically at work today, so I felt a little lethargic when I started exercising. That went a away during the first set of exercises! My legs weren't feeling so good today, and I worried about them on a new set of plyometrics that had me jumping down from a platform and up onto another one. I didn't feel any pain, but my IT bands were having a hard time responding to the quick motions I wanted them to do.

Near the end of the workout I noticed myself walking a little funny. Well, I'm a breaststroker, so people think I walk funny anyway. But in order to avoid the soreness in my legs, I felt like I was walking like a penguin! I don't know if I walk like that after all of JR's workouts, but I think the heightened awareness of the tension in my legs made it more noticeable.

When I got home tonight I drank about 12 ounces of Nutriboost milk to help speed the muscle recovery, and did some stretching on my foam roller. When I rolled that right over my IT bands, I felt waves of endorphins envelope me. For a brief moment, everything felt wonderful ... until I started on the other leg! I should feel OK for tomorrow morning's workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment