Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sunrise, Sunset

Date: Thursday, May 10, 2012
Time: 6:10 p.m.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Short Course Meters
46 days to Olympic Trials

300 warmup

8x150 on 2:30
1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 free
3, 6 100 back/50 breast

12x25 on :35 with small fins
underwater kick to 15 meters, then swim easy

12x50 breast pull with small fins on 1:00 (averaged :36)

200 free pull easy with buoy at ankles

8x75 on 1:40 -- 50 easy/25 fast
1-5 back, 6-8 free

100 scull (with stretching)

Total: 3,300 meters (80 minutes)

I had planned to swim with the kids at Phoenix Swim Club today, but they started an hour earlier, and I was unaware of the temporary schedule change. My only other option was to swim with the evening Masters group, which I wasn't too thrilled about, but I had no choice if I wanted to swim today. It was a weird feeling swimming when the sun was going down. I'm usually swimming when the sun is rising!

The workout was a little bit harder than I wanted it to be. Since I was going to be back at the pool at 5:45 the next morning, I had hoped for an easier workout. Actually, I could have made the workout easy, but instinctively, I made it hard. I pushed the pace of those 50s breast pull a lot harder than I should have, but the first five 50s felt relaxed and smooth. The last seven were torture. I thought about doing backstroke pull for the last six, but I stuck with it. My technique stayed nearly flawless through the set, with an emphasis on grabbing plenty of water during the outsweep.

I should have done the last set aerobically, but again, my mind and body decided to put some element of speed in it. I wasn't at my best in that last set, and I considered not swimming fast after the third 75, but I kept going. My stroke wasn't holding together, and that's not a good thing when you're trying to sprint. If your stroke isn't doing well, it's a sign that maybe you need some active recovery. Tomorrow won't give me the opportunity to do that. After Wednesday, Friday is the hardest workout day with the Phoenix Swim Club Masters group! Lots of kicking and some sprinting at the end of workout!

I'm extremely tired, and I have to be at the pool in eight hours. Add to the fact that I am also doing weights tomorrow afternoon, and you have the recipe for a very tired person who will probably sleep until noon on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment