Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Time: 5:45 a.m.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Short Course Meters
33 days to Olympic Trials

250 warmup

5x(3x50)
1. kick on 1:10
2. non-free on 1:00
3. free on :50

16x25 on :35
1-4, 9-12 breakouts
5-8, 13-16 descend

Four rounds:
75 fast/175 easy on 7:00
1. free with small fins (40.8)
2. breast from dive (48.5)
3. back from push (45.5)
4. breast from dive (47.5)

50 easy

4x50 kick with small fins fast on 1:30 -- 25 dolphin on stomach/25 flutter on back with 12 dolphin kicks

100 easy

50 breast fast from dive (29.9)

100 easy (with stretching)

Total: 2,900 meters (80 minutes)

This has been a rough week, physically. I haven't been able to get my body to perform as easily as weeks past. But I guess it can't all be life on a bed of roses, can it?

This morning, I didn't have much of a desire to do fast 75s, but I did them! Instead of doing eight rounds of 75 fast/75 easy on 3:30, I decided to do every other round fast. I still don't think I had enough recovery to adequately do each one fast, but six minutes is better than three!

I wasn't too happy with my breaststroke times on the 75s. I thought 46-high was a good goal, but I realize now that's reaching pretty high during workout at 6:30 a.m. But it might have been possible if I hadn't swum my first 50 in 31 seconds. If you remember, I was doing that on repeats last week! I did have to circle swim on the fast 75s, so maybe I can take away about a second, since I swam about 77 meters!

I was happy that I was able to get under 30 on the 50 from a dive. I got to swim that one straight, and though my legs were tired from the kick set we had just done, I felt like I was swimming quite well. I did have trouble with the finish. I glided a little too long on the final stroke. I was trying not to spot the wall as I approached it, and maybe that affected my ability to accurately time my stroke to finish better. These are small things that I can work on in the next four weeks.

JR Rosania helped set my mind at ease today. He said all of the swimmers he's training for the Olympic Trials are feeling the same way I'm feeling in the water. That gave me a huge sense of comfort. He added that all the hard training we've been doing -- both in and out of the water -- is finally catching up with our bodies, and it's OK to feel like this right now. We've got a little more than a month to go, and everything will be OK.

I'm sure he's right. I am not pushing the panic button. I'm going to continue on this path, knowing the final three weeks will feel much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment