Sunday, April 29, 2012

Whip It

Date: Sunday, April 29, 2012
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Location: Tucson, AZ
Long Course Meters
57 days to Olympic Trials

300 warmup

Four rounds:
200 free with snorkel and fins on 3:20 (avg. 2:40)
100 back kick with fins on 2:10
2x50 breast on 1:05 (25 double pullouts/25 pull)
100 IM on 2:20 (allowing time to put on fins and snorkel for next round)

8x25 on :50
odd: 15 fast/10 easy
even: 10 easy/15 fast

Three rounds:
4x 30 seconds breaststroke with bungee cord (1 kick, 1 pull, 1 kick, 1 swim)
100 easy on 2:00
50 fast from push (33.5, 33.1, 33.6)
150 easy
About two to three minutes rest

100 easy

Total: About 4,100 meters (100 minutes)

I borrowed today's main set from the Canadian Olympic team, which was in Phoenix last week for a training camp. I had the opportunity to film this workout, and you'll be able to find it on  SwimmingWorld.TV in the coming days. This was done by the sprint group, and though they did four rounds of the set, I only had time for three, and it was enough! They also did this set with the Power Tower, but they weren't set up at the Hillenbrand Aquatic Center today, so I improvised and used this instead.

Using bungee cords is a nice alternative to the Power Tower, but you get to a point where you can't swim any further, and when you reach that point, the rubber starts to pull against you, instead of keeping you in place, as the Power Tower does. When I was doing my breaststroke swimming, my body position didn't feel great, but I was happy to almost make it to 25 meters!

The focus of the set was the fast 25. I am not entirely sure if the Canadians were told to go all out, but I know they were supposed to work on distance per stroke. I made sure I did not go over 23 strokes on my 50s, and hoped to be able to do one under 33 seconds. But doing the bungee cord work takes a little of the edge off, and I felt that in the final 15 meters. If I had been fresh on those push 50s, I would have been able to do all three under 33.

I officially entered the Southwest Invite, and will be swimming the 200 free, 100 back, 100 breast and 200 IM at the meet. Why the 200 free? I wanted to swim two events per session, and there was nothing else up my alley. The meet is being held in timed finals format, and I'm only swimming Saturday, which means I will race four times in one day. It'll be a good training meet, and I'll only back off on Friday. This meet is more about racing than times. It might be my last competition before Trials, but that's not certain yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment