Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I'm Tired

Date: Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Time: 5:45 a.m.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Long Course Meters
82 days to Olympic Trials

300 warmup

16x50 on 1:00
1-4 free breathing every 5
5-8 back
9-12 breast
13-16 free breathing every 4

9x200 on 4:30
1-4: 25 kick with small fins/25 kick easy (got about 1 minute rest between repeats)
5: 25 breast kick underwater fast/25 swim easy (about 40 seconds rest)
6-9: 50 swim fast/50 swim easy
        #6 & #8: free averaging :31
        #7: back averaging :33
        # 8: breast averaging :35

200 free easy, breathing every 4

200 easy: 25 scull/25 swim

Total: 3,300 meters (75 minutes)

I was awakened at 2:30 a.m. by a couple bickering loudly outside my window. There was no way to sleep through it. They were so loud, it was easy to understand every word they were saying, some of which I would prefer not to repeat here. The argument lasted about 10 minutes. The man got in his car and drove away. The woman kept yelling after him, using words I will not print here.

After the verbal storm, I tried to go back to sleep. It was no use. My brain was awake, processing the day that was and the day that was about to be. The harder I tried to sleep, the more difficult it was. The last time I saw the clock was 3:45, about 75 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. I woke up feeling groggy, but I usually feel that way. I was OK during workout, but by 1 p.m. I was dragging, mentally and physically.

Today's workout didn't help me physically. It was tough. The main set originally was 10 rounds of a 100 fast, then a 100 easy on a 4:30 interval. Not my cup of tea, especially this time of the season. Mark Rankin decided to take a vacation, and left a simple workout for our coach, Mary Jo Pursley. No fault to her, but it was a very mind-numbing workout. Even if Mark had been there, I would have dome something different. The way I did the set was more conducive to a sprinter, and though I wasn't yet ready to be a full-on sprinter in my second workout after six days off from swimming, I did pretty well. I wasn't thrilled with my times on the 50s swim, but I gave it a good effort.

Tonight's dryland session with JR Rosania was one of the toughest ever. Definitely one of the toughest I've done in a couple of months. Oddly, the dreaded leg extensions were not the hardest thing on the menu today. The breaststroke stretch cord pull was definitely difficult! We've been building up the repetitions of the exercise every week, starting at 20 reps of just doing the breaststroke outsweep. Now, I'm at 40 reps for three sets, and I thought my arms were going to collapse on me after the third set. I'm writing this about an hour after doing the workout, and I'm still quite sore despite a decent cool down and stretching. I'm going to take a good amount of ibuprofen and put some Ben-Gay on my left shoulder, as a preventative measure.

I am so sleepy right now I could go to bed and not wake up until dawn. Luckily, I'm swimming with the kids at Phoenix Swim Club tomorrow, so I get to "sleep in" until 6:45!

No comments:

Post a Comment