Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hit Me With Your Best (Flu) Shot

Date: Wednesday, December 22, 2011
Time: 5:45 a.m.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Long Course Meters
187 days to Olympic Trials

300 warmup

4x125 free breathing every 3 on 2:15

12x25 breakouts on :35

1x100 free fast from push (1:03.1)

8x50 free on 1:30, averaging half of fast 100 time (averaged 30.1)

300 easy

1x100 back fast from push (1:06.4)

4x50 back on 1:30, averaging half of fast 100 time (averaged 32.3)

300 easy

4x50 on 1:30: 25 breast fast from dive/25 easy

200 easy (with stretching after each 50)

Total: 2,900 meters (80 minutes)

Very tough sets today. I was a little hesitant to swim all out on the first 100 free, because Mark had hinted that our performance in the next set would be determined by our time in the 100. I went about 95 percent effort, somewhere around the pace I would hold in the middle 100 of a 200 free (I think, since I don't do 200 free very much.) The eight 50s free were tough physically, but I got through them. The rest was long enough to get enough rest hold the pace I went, but if I wanted to go at all out speed (i.e. in the high 28) I would have needed more rest, or only done four.

When it came time for the 100 back, I was still physically aching from the freestyle sprinting, but I wanted to work on my backstroke pull, especially after yesterday's work in the gym with the new exercise. My left arm was giving me trouble -- not because of the exercise at the gym, but because of the flu shot I got on Monday. My left tricep and bicep were on fire near the end of the 100 back, and for all four of the 50s.

I didn't feel like testing the waters, so to speak, on breaststroke today. I didn't think I could handle a 100 long course today, since I was still making the adjustment to long course. The fast 25s from the blocks felt OK, but not where I'd like my off-the-blocks-speed to be. I'm swimming with Coley's group tomorrow -- breaststroke day -- so we'll see how that goes.

After workout, as I was walking to the locker room wrapped in my USA parka, I noticed the visiting swim team about to swim in the smaller pool. I recognized one of the coaches as Olympic gold medalist Sheila Taormina, and went over to say hello. After a few minutes, she asked if I could do an in-water breaststroke demonstration for the kids on the team, and I obliged. It was great teaching them some of the finer points of breaststroke, and fun to think about those aspects as I was demonstrating. Thanks to Clovis Swim Team for the opportunity!

Here's a photo of me with Clovis coach Vincent de Maio and Sheila:

This evening I returned to work with JR Rosania for more torture. Today was supposed to be about easing back into the rhythm of his exercises, but by the time the hour was over, I was completely shredded. A lot of it had to do with the push-ups. I have never really embraced push-ups, and I don't recall ever doing them seriously as part of my dryland routine ever in my life. Maybe doing more push-ups will help my shoulder and back muscles. They were screaming at me after three rounds of 20. But on the whole, I'm sure the dryland will be a great asset for me in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment