Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Self Control

Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Time: 5:50 a.m.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Long Course Meters
5 days to Olympic Trials

32x25 on :35, 8 of each stroke in reverse IM order
odd: swim
even: drill

200 kick choice

16x50 on 1:00 from middle of pool
1-4: 25 fly/25 back
5-8: 25 back/25 breast
9-12: 25 breast/25 free
13-14: 50 back
15-16: 50 breast

8x100 on 2:00
odd: backstroke descend to 1:19
even: free, hold at 1:20

200 easy

Total: 2,800 meters (70 minutes)

We're inside a week until Olympic Trials! There's no denying that the meet is drawing closer, especially when my teammates keep bringing it up during workout. I'm so happy to be on a team that's very supportive of me, and it's going to help me mentally on June 25 to know I have so many people cheering for me. On the other hand, it's a little scary to think that I have so many people anxious to either watch my swim or find out the result afterward.

This is the tough part of taper: Managing the mind. On days when you don't feel that great during taper (as was the case today) your mind tends to worry if the body will adjust in time for race day. And when you feel great (as was the case yesterday) you have to rein yourself in and keep the thoughts from going wild about race outcomes.

Self control is a strong exercise that I will be employing in the next five days. There will be so much internal and external stimulation that it will be easy for my mind to freak out. For example, the first time I walk onto the deck at the CenturyLink Center on Saturday afternoon for warmup might be a little weird. I've stood in that arena before, but not in this situation, so it will be a time to visualize a calmer environment and keep myself from thinking that it's all too overwhelming.

JR Rosania helped me with this last week when he mentioned a scene in the movie "Hoosiers," when the kids were overwhelmed by the big arena they were about to play in for the state championships. The coach measured the basketball court, assuring them it was the same dimensions as the court at their school gym.

The pool at the CenturyLink Center is still only 50 meters long. Nothing too special about that!

2 comments:

  1. May have a hard time getting through this diet plan as you are encouraged to eat 5 small healthy meals a day.
    six sigma training

    ReplyDelete
  2. The players should practice more to be able to perfect their routines.

    ReplyDelete