Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Where Is the Love

Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Time: 5:50 a.m.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Short Course Yards
132 days to Olympic Trials

4x(3x100) on 1:40
1. 12.5 fly/12.5 free
2. 25 back/25 breast
3. 50 IM/50 free

14x25 on :35 turns from middle of pool

8x150 on 2:30, descending to fast on 7 and 8
odd: 50 fly/50back/50 breast
even: 50 back/50 breast/50 free
#7: 1:37
#8: 1:38

50 easy

14x25 recovery on :30
Odd: dolphin kick on back
Even: back swim

4x75 on 1:30
#1: 25 fly/25 back/25 breast fast from dive (41.8)
2 and 3 easy
#4: 25 back/25 breast/25 free fast from push (43.8)

250 easy

Total: 3,700 yards (75 minutes)

I wasn't feeling the love today from the coach or the water. I thought Mark would show us how much he loves us on Valentine's Day by taking it easy, but it did not turn out that way. Adding to my sluggish and non-sprinting feeling was the warm water (about 82 degrees).

I did like doing IM work today, because I have been focusing too much on breaststroke this past week. I don't want to forget that I'm not just training for a 100 breast at the Olympic Trials, but I'm also training for the summer Masters national championships the following week, where I will be swimming more than just breaststroke

My strokes felt OK technically, but I was trying too hard to go fast and swim correctly. I shouldn't have forced things too much, because my body will begin to learn to swim that way. I wasn't feeling much in my legs on my breaststroke kick, and my arms just felt like jelly. I was hoping to go under 1:35 on the fast 150s today, but in perspective, going under 1:40 is pretty good. I need to remember that I do not perform well all the time, nor do I need to perform well all the time. Having a few bad workouts here and there only keeps me motivated to be better. If I were swimming well every day, I might get too complacent.

I did notice the use of the number "14" today on a couple of the sets. Cute.

At the gym (4:45 p.m.)
20 minutes on elliptical machine

10 minutes abdominals and stretching

I was waffling back and forth on going to the gym after work. I thought it would be good to have an evening of no exercise, but I also knew that I would not be doing any dryland until at least Sunday. I figured that some cardio work would help strengthen my legs, and I felt my upper body could use the break, which is why I didn't lift any weights. This will hopefully make me sharper tomorrow afternoon for the lactate workout with the gold group at Phoenix Swim Club. I've done one of these workouts with them before, and I felt like I had to crawl to my car I was so tired. But this will be good race training, as we'll go full speed with a good amount of rest, while at the same time, teaching our muscles to swim fast through the pain that we feel in the last 15 percent of the race.

I also didn't spend too much time at the gym because I wanted to go shopping for some new shoes. My tennis shoes have been worn down by a couple of years of standing on pool decks, not to mention sightseeing in Asia last year and Italy this year. I could definitely feel the cushioning support wearing away with each step. The shoes I got today felt very good the second I put them on. They are actual "tennis shoes," made for playing tennis. I haven't played tennis since ... gosh, I don't know! But they offered better back support than the traditional training shoes and were cheaper than running shoes, which I don't need because I don't run! Here's a photo of my new shoes, made by New Balance:

I like them because they are not flashy. Just a simple shoe. And affordable. I got them at Sports Authority for $54. I'm sure many of you will want to suggest a very high-end shoe for me, but I don't need them. Since my sport is in the water, I have no need for those shoes. I am fortunate to be able to wear tennis shoes at work, so I just wanted something comfortable that would go with my business casual attire, but can also look good with gym shorts. I think these work nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment