Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cool It Now

Date: Thursday, October 28, 2011
Time: 5:45 a.m.
Location: Phoenix, AZ
242 days to Olympic Trials

400 warmup

18x50 done as:
1 on 1:00
1 on :50
1 on :40
1 on 1:00
1 on :50
1 on :40, etc.
(did breast on the 1:00, back on :50 and free on :40)

600 with running dive at every 50

10x75 free on 1:15 aerobic
(averaged :51)

3x300 free on 4:15
200 aerobic, 100 strong

150 easy

100 free fast from dive (52.4)

200 easy

6x25 backstroke fast with start

100 easy (with stretching)

Total: 4,500 yards (90 minutes)

I took the day off form work today, so I stayed after the normal workout (which ended after the fast 100 free) and worked on backstroke starts. This was the second time I've worked on backstroke starts since May, with the first time being last Sunday. I need to work on these very week. It's always a very weak part of my backstroke race. While I don't believe I'll ever be an underwater kicking dynamo, I don't want to start every backstroke race  half a body length behind everyone. I asked Coach Tako to analyze my start, and he said I was using too much of an arc to get into the water. He suggested using my hips to push me backwards more, enter a little flatter without losing speed and have a shallower entry. I tried it a few times and I improved, but not to the point that I felt completely satisfied. I'll do more work on it Sunday.

Today was great for recovery, but it was ruined by the fast 100. After about 3,500 yards of fairly easy swimming, my body wasn't prepared to swim fast. Everyone around me except for Alan Carter, who can seemingly go super fast at the drop of a hat, didn't swim very fast on that 100 either. I felt like I was forcing my arms to turn over faster than they wanted, and I wasn't focusing enough on my technique.

I didn't lose sleep over that fast 100, or how much work is needed on my backstroke start. When I got home after workout, I slept for two-and-a-half hours! I didn't think I needed a nap that much.

I would have swum with Coley Stickels' group tonight, but I have to teach a swimming lesson at 5:00. Despite the fact that I have to run errands and practice my piano playing this afternoon, it's good to give my mind and body a break in the middle of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment