Friday, September 30, 2011

Running On Empty

Date: Thursday, September 30, 2011
Time: 5:50 a.m.
Short Course Yards
269 days to Olympic Trials

7x150 on 2:40
#1 is six lengths swim, #2 is five lengths swim, one length kick, etc...

Six rounds:
75 kick with fins on 1:00
25 kick fast with fins on 1:00
(Rounds 1 and 2: free, rounds 3 and 4: fly, rounds five and six: back)
(Averaged :53-:55 on 75s, so very little rest before fast 25)

100 easy

10x50 breast kick no board on 1:00
Averaged :45

12x25 swim on :30
Odd: backstroke
Even: head up freestyle

Six rounds:
75 swim on 1:00
25 swim on 1:00
Descend 1-3, 4-6
(#3 backstroke time was :53, #6 freestyle time was :50 from a dive)

200 easy

Total: 3,350 yards

It's been a while since I've done two workouts within 12 hours. I had little to no energy this morning. A small part of it had to do with the fact that I did not go to sleep until 10:00, a full hour later than usual. But the other factor was something that's been an issue for a few weeks: I'm not eating right.

Last night after workout, I went to Subway for dinner. I had a turkey breast and ham sandwich (only $5 in September!) and was fairly full after that. I woke up this morning feeling a little hungry but was reticent to eat anything. As a rule, I rarely eat before workout, to avoid the nauseous feeling I often get while swimming. I ate half a banana, which did nothing to ease the hunger. Usually the hunger pangs are followed by dizziness and feeling light-headed, but that didn't happen. I just didn't have any zip to my swimming.

After morning workout, I head straight to the office, where I eat breakfast (as well as lunch). This morning, my options were limited, and instead of going to the grocery store (or Einstein Bagels) for other options, I ate a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with vanilla yogurt. Delicious, but not very filling. I was hungry about 90 minutes later. For "second breakfast" I consumed about five handfuls of Honey Nut Cheerios, which wasn't enough, because an hour later I was starving. I know my body needed lots of calories to replenish what I had spent this morning, but I didn't bring enough food to the office to satisfy myself. When I get home at night, a well-balanced dinner is never a problem. There's always protein, carbs and veggies on my plate.

I know many of you will wag your finger at me, with a "tsk, tsk" accompaniment about my breakfast. I should know better. I do know better. I will be better. I want to lose about five pounds in the next six weeks, and I thought eating less would help. But I think the key is just eating smarter. If you have recommendations on what can get me to this goal, please drop your suggestions in the comments. And keep in mind that I don't want to turn on a stove or oven for breakfast at the office. A microwave is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment